Thursday, December 2, 2010

4 Months

Last week, Dallin turned 4 months old. He has grown up so much in the past month, it is insane! It seems like he learns something new pretty much every day.

He started eating rice cereal three days ago. Most of it ends up all over him rather than in his stomach, but we're working on it. He just needs practice with the whole spoon thing. It is pretty funny to watch the faces he makes. I haven't gotten a picture of it yet, but I will soon. 

Dallin is still the happiest kid in the world. If someone is talking, Dallin is watching them and smiling; even if that person isn't talking to him or looking at him. He also laughs a ton. He was blessed with his parent's ticklish genes. Every time I change his clothes, he laughs when I take his arms out of the sleeves because it tickles. He loves his Daddy. Jacob is an expert at getting him to laugh.

He is very alert and curious. He is constantly looking around. It's hard to get him to look at me when he's standing on my lap because he is busy trying to twist around to look at everything.  He's like a giant sponge - absorbing everything he possibly can. I think he is going to be smart like his dad. :)

Dallin can now roll over! For the past month, he has fallen over while on his stomach and the momentum has carried him onto his back. I didn't really count that as rolling over. However, on Tuesday, he rolled over on his own from his stomach to back. Then, tonight, he was on his back facing one direction. I was in the kitchen and Jacob was in the living room but he was playing the piano with his back to Dallin. When I came back into the living room, he had turned 90 degrees and rolled over onto his stomach. He was up on his forearms, so I thought Jacob had put him in that position, but he hadn't. Over the next little while, Dallin rolled over a few times.

Dallin dropped from the 50th percentile to the 15th between 2 months and 4 months, so the doctor has me supplementing with formula. I don't like having to do that, but I do feel good knowing that he is getting enough to eat and the nutrition he needs. I checked the level of fat in my milk. The Dr. said that about 30 to 50% of the milk should be fat. Mine was way less than 30% so I think that's why he wasn't growing. For a couple of weeks before his appointment, Dallin had been acting like he wasn't satisfied or getting enough to eat at some feedings. Other times, he was perfectly fine. I can see a big difference in him at feedings now. So whatever was wrong, the formula is definitely helping.

Speaking of formula and baby food, Jacob and I are big fans of Craigslist and KSL. We have bought many items through these websites including our home, car, kitchen table, and chairs. While we were in Denver for Thanksgiving, we found a posting for TONS of formula and baby food and Craigslist. We bought 10 cans of formula, 6 boxes of rice and oatmeal cereal, and 13 containers of babyfood for $60. Everything was unopened and do not expire for at least 6 months. If we bought all that at the store, it would cost about 175 to 200 dollars. Like I said - we love Craigslist and KSL. :)

My friend, Maija-Liisa, is a children's photographer who also does family pictures from time to time. She was so nice to take pictures of us at 9:00 on a Saturday night. Dallin was so good and happy and they turned out great!



3 comments: